Thursday, March 3, 2011

Episode #5

So, now that I have come out from underneath all that black fabric, I can blog about the last episode of "The Smocking Bee." The jumper pattern that I mentioned I will be using for Martha's dress is "Seasons Change Smocked Insert Jumper and Jumpsuit for 17-18" Dolls" by Darcy A. Fechner. However, after doing some research, it appears that this book is out of print and not easy to locate. It's a cute little jumper pattern. I will post a picture of Martha in her dress when it is finished.

I told you I would give the information about the Martha Pullen Event in Ellicot City, MD. Hopefully, they still have a few places left. You can check out their website at http://www.sewfair.com/ I can't wait! I am counting down the days. If you're going to be there, please let me know!!!!

Also, I mentioned about the adorable smocking plate for a sock monkey from the latest SAGA News issue. I didn't realize it at the time because it arrived right in the middle of my podcast, but that design was created by Claire Meldrum - the incredibly talented designer who has been writing and sharing great tutorials on using Adobe Illustrator to design smocking plates. I feel like I know her -- and was so excited to see her design in SAGA News!! Congratulations Claire! If you visit the SAGA News blog, you can get a sneak peek at the darling dress! http://saganewsblogs.blogspot.com/2011/02/saganews-volume-32-1.html

Now, in the podcast, I asked about which way you pleat -forwards or backwards -- that means - do you sit with the needles facing you and pull it away as you turn the knob, or do you sit with the back facing you where you are watching the fabric feed into the pleater? I personally watch it being fed in so I can guide it better and make sure it doesn't get wonky. Leave a comment and let me know how you pleat!!

1 comment:

  1. I pleat the opposite way, with the needles facing me. I can't imagine doing it any other way! LOL. Isn't that funny how things are like that sometimes?

    ReplyDelete